Best way to lose weight fast
I’m often asked what the best way to lose weight fast is – and while you might think that there is some mystery about how to lose weight fast, there actually isn’t. While I can give you all sorts of complicated formulas for what you need to do to lose the weight you want to lose, I can also make it very simple: Eat human food.
The million dollar question, though, is human food?
Stop the insanity!
Somehow, people who live in so-called advanced societies have gotten far away from the foods that humans bodies need. Almost every food you commonly find on your plate can add weight to your hips, thighs (and other places you don’t want to think about).
The reason why this has happened is because the people who make your food have created foods that cater to your taste buds and not to your body. We are all stuck in this sugary-salty-fatty-taste-land where everything we eat makes our taste buds go gaga and our waistlines go large.
What you want to notice about what I just wrote is this: “the people who make your food.” Because (if you are like most people) you make less and less of your own food. Other people are making most of what you eat. Even if you do cook at home, the meal usually starts with something that comes in a package. This wouldn’t really be a problem except that the people who make your foods want you to eat more and that means making the food taste good.
These foods are full of sugar, salt, and other chemicals; and these can contribute to your weight gain, but let’s look closer at the three reasons for weight gain.
Reasons why you gain weight
Here is why you are gaining weight when you eat the foods that other people make:
- Sugar into fat: sugar is easily turned into fat in your body, the worst offender is high fructose corn syrup and soda. Table sugar is no better (it is half fructose) and then don’t forget the foods that act like sugars (mostly grains and starchy vegetables)
- Lack of exercise: You know that you are probably not as active as you could be and this can have a dramatic impact on your metabolism.
What you should eat to lose weight
Okay, this is going to sound crazy, but the best way to lose weight fast is to eat only vegetables and proteins (meat, nuts…). But let me warn you that anyone who is now eating the Standard American Diet (SAD diet) and tries to eat only vegetables and meat is in for a world of hurt. The reason for this is that your digestive system is not ready for such a dramatic change and will need time to adjust to your new diet.
Here is how to make the transition:
- Take away sugar and foods that act like sugar. I have a program that will help you: 30 Sugar Free Days Program. Doing this program alone can help you lose a ton of weight.
- Start to increase the amount of fresh vegetables you eat every day. Make sure every meal has at least two vegetables. Focus on the green leafy vegetables such as kale, salad greens, arugula, Bok Choy, endive, collard greens, spinach, mustard greens, lettuce (all types) and whatever you like.
- Remove milk and milk products from your diet. This step alone drops a huge percentage chemicals (like hormones) from your diet. Worried about getting enough calcium? Check out my post on Calcium Myths.
- Snack on low-glycemic fruits and vegetables.
The best way to lose weight fast is to eat the way humans used to eat: a diet high in vegetables and good proteins. The biggest bonus to this way of eating is that you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight.
Dear Dr. Scott,
I am on the 5th day of your 30 sugar free days program. I tried it last year but was not as successful. I am having problems with low energy and other ailments. I am an Opera singer and I must keep my energy at a high level. My singing requires it. So, I thought that I would try it again. So far so good. My energy is pretty good at the moment. However, I am finding it hard to do the 80/20 way of eating. 80 % of veggies and fruits is very difficult. The fruit is not a problem, because I love it. I love veggies as well, but I am finding it hard to be creative with eating more veggies than fruit, which you suggest!! Does your book, Sugarettes give a little insight on my dilemma? Also, are dairy products so bad to eat? I thought on your program that it is ok to eat dairy? However, I am wanting to lose weight!! Any suggestions would be most helpful!! Thanks! Sincerely, Opera singer singing in Germany
I think eating a high amount of fruits and vegetables takes practice. Most people have to go through a lot of ups and downs before they get it right. The key is keep trying and you will eventually get there. For the 30 Sugar Free Days I suggested that dairy products are okay, but I don’t think if you want to lose weight that you should be eating dairy. I have a new book out in the next few weeks called “Are Aliens Making You Fat?” that shows you exactly what diet plan I suggest and how to go about moving from where you are to a better weight. I find dairy products so mucus-forming that you might find your singing improving if you were to stop eating them. Try it for a while and see how you feel.
Thank you for the reply. I will try not eating dairy. I think you are right concerning the mucus problems. Wow, now it is going to be hard not eating the sugar and the dairy, but anything to get to a healthy existance in life. Ok, I will keep you posted. Let me know when the book comes out!! God bless!!